My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: 1900-1945 (540)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

1900 Foursquare Questions

Hello all! I am in the process of buying an American Foursquare (pic attached). At least I was told that's what the style is, but it does s…

Started by J. Frenchy

3 20 minutes ago
Reply by Blair B Carmichael

Drafty old house

My wife and I just bought an old home from around 1900 in Northern New Jersey. The house was a flip and looks like they did a good job. The…

Started by Donald Harris

4 7 hours ago
Reply by Donald Harris

How do I go about dealing with moisture issues in wall cavities of old (1926) stucco home?

I recently embarked on a bathroom remodel. When we removed the old tub and surround there was considerable fungus and mold issues behind th…

Started by Corry

1 Nov 30
Reply by Lair Tienter

Tuck pointing or filling very deep holes in stone foundation in difficult to access area

I have a house in Cincinnati, Ohio USA that was built in 1904.  The mortar in the stone foundation is pretty good on three sides of the hou…

Started by Dave Schwinn

4 Oct 23
Reply by Franz

RE: article on upgrading to radiant floor heat

My 2 story has ideal hidden south facing roof for radiant panels and a small solar panel to power a recirc pump loop between the panel and…

Started by india white

2 Oct 14
Reply by Walden Smith

Historic Paint?

I have an Arts and Crafts 1908 stone gatehouse which needs a lot of work! The question I have is about the paint found on the walls. It ble…

Started by Peter Mack

3 Oct 6
Reply by Robert Chickey

could these be Portieres?

I'm trying to clean out my junk bldg. and in the process trying to downsize....now I uncovered these pcs earlier  and believe you me, don't…

Started by Bob Mason

1 Oct 4
Reply by Bob Mason

Mucho confused about Mucha

So we've had this chunk of plaster framed in a curio box that the former owners left with the house. They said it was discovered when they…

Started by Carrie Z

0 Oct 1

Looking for "Clicky" Light Switches

I'm doing a little remodel work in the bath/laundry room and have been trying to replace the light switches to match those in the rest of t…

Started by Caleb J Buller

3 Sep 6
Reply by caseypratt

Joint compound on plaster walls

My husband is planning to use joint compound to patch our plaster walls.  I recall reading somewhere that this is not a good idea as they a…

Started by Erin Braico

14 Aug 23
Reply by Sophia M

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2016   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service