Old Houses: 1900-1945 (557)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Best way to strip and repaint radiators in place?

I have two massive radiators in my 1920 home that have many layers of paint on them.  Due to their size (and my fears about getting them to…

Started by Jayelle C

1 17 hours ago
Reply by Lair Tienter

1920 Foursquare exterior is boring! Suggestions for trim colors are welcomed!

Hello, everyone! This is my first time posting here about my "new" house (I was here about 3-4 years ago when I owned an 1857 Victorian).  …

Started by Jayelle C

9 yesterday
Reply by Jayelle C

New Restorer Buys Two Huge Houses- can't even identify style of one!!!

Just bought this large 1910 house at auction Saturday.  It is divided into 4 apartments with a communal living room, but almost looks like…

Started by KARODY ROBBINS

13 yesterday
Reply by Jayelle C

matching late 1920's moulding

I'm trying to match some moulding but I have no idea where to find it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Started by John

11 Apr 9
Reply by Randall Marder

Saving 120 year old siding

We are in a pickle. Our old Victorian had blown-in insulation that is causing major problems. The house has no sheathing, and the soggy nor…

Started by JRTebow

1 Apr 9
Reply by Randall Marder

Linseed oil

While searching for info on glazing windows I read that one should apply boiled linseed oil to the wood before applying the glazing compoun…

Started by Erin Braico

12 Apr 9
Reply by Randall Marder

Removing cement/plaster/The Blob from tiles

I recently purchased 10 antique tiles from a salvage company with the intention of creating a decorative panel. Most of the titles are n…

Started by Amanda Stroud

11 Apr 9
Reply by Randall Marder

Could anyone help me find out where to advertise my old house items?

I am quite new to this, so bear with me. I am salvaging wood and some other items from an old house that is going to be demolished. Where c…

Started by Cathy J Decker

4 Apr 8
Reply by Cathy J Decker

Old kitchen sink advice?

Hi everyone,  My husband and I are working on our 1905 Victorian, and the kitchen is next! We found an awesome old sink on CraigsList that…

Started by Kaitlyn E.

6 Mar 24
Reply by Michael Cozad

What do I do with this kitchen?

I have added a picture of the kitchen of a home we are purchasing.  I love the brick flooring (original).  I want to keep the original kitc…

Started by LaDonna Dutton

9 Mar 21
Reply by Mark W. Hoffa

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service