My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: 1900-1945 (472)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Turning a new page-- our 1904 colonial...

Hi everyone! I'm new to old houses, so pardon in advance for the millions of questions I'm sure to ask in the future. I have recently dec…

Started by Rosie Campos

5 on Sunday
Reply by James Olson

old plumbing fixtures

does anyone have experience with using old bathtub handles with modern valves? I have 3 American Standard cross handles, (hot, cold,and tub…

Started by lauri lombardi

11 on Saturday
Reply by lauri lombardi

Copper flashing ideas for covering aluminum

Been awhile since I sought advice from the forums.  Getting ready to camouflage this ugly aluminum flashing with some patinaed copper.  I h…

Started by Jill Perkins

15 May 22
Reply by Jill Perkins

More Help With Side Shingles

Hello all, I'm starting to get to the point on the house where I will start stripping the shingles. The below picture shows some of what I…

Started by Jim Quinn

4 May 18
Reply by Phil

Window hardware

I found four of these (see photos) while trying to clean out my garage/workshop. I can't recall how they came to be stashed away.Can only a…

Started by Jerry

3 May 17
Reply by Jerry

GC/Owner. Can anyone identify this particular wallpaper pattern??

Hello everyone.  This is my very first post.  I was recently looking through the webpages of an architectural salvage store back east nam…

Started by Madeline Weaver

10 May 4
Reply by Madeline Weaver

Is this doorbell original to house?

https://scontent-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/11038573_702224609761_8711339418102816413_n.jpg?oh=0128ae51a9e3e6fa76d76409624ab724

Started by Bonnie Pierce West

5 May 2
Reply by Bonnie Pierce West

Stained crackle glazed tile

I have a 1927 Tudor Revival with a shower that has its original white crackle glazed ceramic tile.  Some of the tiles and the matching buil…

Started by Katie

13 Apr 28
Reply by Jason Clark

Bungalow with no front porch?

Hello! I'm in the market right now for a bungalow in my area. While looking, I found one that has me a bit confused.This bungalow has a bay…

Started by Raph

1 Apr 27
Reply by Lair Tienter

Markel light fixture

Have 4 Markel (M.E.P.) cast iron wall sconces in my early 1930’s bungalow. The fixtures had many coats of wall paint & I want to refini…

Started by JR PEARSON

2 Apr 19
Reply by Ken klemmer

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2015   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service