My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: 1900-1945 (432)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

adding a p trap to upstairs claw foot tub

hello all, new member here, I am  in the middle of remodeling an upstairs bathroom in a 1908 home.  Have several problems. 1. is there was…

Started by Bob Keprta

1 37 minutes ago
Reply by Bob Keprta

Drilling into my Newel Post

Happy Holidays all, During one of our many antique shop forays we found a terrific old (gigantic) candlestick from an old church. We purcha…

Started by StoneHouseGuy

1 on Thursday
Reply by Lair Tienter

Basement Vapor Barrier

I am in the process of buying a 1930s duplex as a rental property which has an older 3/4 basement used for storage, holds the furnaces and…

Started by Jon Griffith

5 Dec 11
Reply by Lair Tienter

Joint compound on plaster walls

My husband is planning to use joint compound to patch our plaster walls.  I recall reading somewhere that this is not a good idea as they a…

Started by Erin Braico

13 Dec 9
Reply by MattD

Seen anything like this before? And advice needed...

Has anyone seen anything like this before? My house is a 1923 bungalow of no particular style. The woodwork in the living and dining room…

Started by Kristi Wall

4 Dec 6
Reply by Kristi Wall

1924 Fireplace

My son recently purchased a Craftsman style home built in 1924. the existing homeowner build bookcases around the fireplace and when doing…

Started by Michael Murray

3 Dec 2
Reply by Donald Shore

Electrical issue/problem

I have a wiring question. I have K&T, 1930s cloth with no ground and romex, sometimes all tied together. Yes I know how dangerous this…

Started by Michael Costello

1 Nov 24
Reply by Lair Tienter

Farmhouse sink and disposals

Is it possible to have a disposal in an antique farmhouse sink?  I know there are porcelain sinks which would crack, but there were also ca…

Started by I love old houses!

8 Nov 15
Reply by James Olson

What type of hardwood floor is this?

Hi - this is my first post and I'm new to this site. I was wondering if anyone could tell us what kind of flooring this is.  The house was…

Started by E Murray

3 Nov 11
Reply by James Olson

Restoring Front Porch on 1909 Home

Hello, I'm working to restore the front porch of my 1909 home. It appears at one time there were brackets between the posts. You can see w…

Started by Tempwave

31 Nov 10
Reply by Tempwave

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service