Old Houses: 1900-1945 (561)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Saving 120 year old siding

We are in a pickle. Our old Victorian had blown-in insulation that is causing major problems. The house has no sheathing, and the soggy nor…

Started by JRTebow

2 16 hours ago
Reply by Will Stanton

Tracking rivulets around windows

We have rivulets that look like veins appearing around most of our windows. We assume that there is leaking somewhere. We have had a profes…

Started by Kameron Cole

1 16 hours ago
Reply by Will Stanton

Should we treat the wood for termites while we are re-siding our old house?

Our old house is unsheathed and was poorly insulated with blown-in before we bought. Now, we suspect due to the rotting lower edges of sid…

Started by JRTebow

1 16 hours ago
Reply by Will Stanton

Paneling ID Help Please

We just bought a 1900 house.  It has this paneling on every wall.  I was wondering if anyone knew which era this belongs to?  It is a textu…

Started by Susan Lofton

2 Aug 12
Reply by Lair Tienter

help with basement hose mystery -- cistern-related?

Hi all,My house was built in 1906. At the front of the house is a turret, and in the basement, this thin mystery hose/pipe goes into the st…

Started by Dave P

10 Aug 1
Reply by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

Magnesite Floors (Interior) - Does anyone know a good repairman?

Started by Greg Ptacek

0 Jun 30

Best way to strip and repaint radiators in place?

I have two massive radiators in my 1920 home that have many layers of paint on them.  Due to their size (and my fears about getting them to…

Started by Jayelle C

1 Apr 27
Reply by Lair Tienter

1920 Foursquare exterior is boring! Suggestions for trim colors are welcomed!

Hello, everyone! This is my first time posting here about my "new" house (I was here about 3-4 years ago when I owned an 1857 Victorian).  …

Started by Jayelle C

9 Apr 26
Reply by Jayelle C

New Restorer Buys Two Huge Houses- can't even identify style of one!!!

Just bought this large 1910 house at auction Saturday.  It is divided into 4 apartments with a communal living room, but almost looks like…

Started by KARODY ROBBINS

13 Apr 26
Reply by Jayelle C

matching late 1920's moulding

I'm trying to match some moulding but I have no idea where to find it. Any ideas? Thanks!

Started by John

11 Apr 9
Reply by Randall Marder

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service