My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: 1900-1945 (489)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Need front porch advise

I bought this 1939 post war bungalow that I'm currently remodeling. I need some ideas on what to do with this front porch. I need to dress…

Started by Raph

0 on Saturday

1920's garage/apartment in South Texas - insulation advice needed!

I bought a house with a garage/apartment a year ago. I have since taken out all the drywall because many boards had cracked over the years.…

Started by David

1 Sep 26
Reply by Lair Tienter

Arts and Craft Tile Restoration Advice ?

I removed many layers of paint from the 3 decorative ceramic tiles on my fireplace. (Also removed the same from the original limestone arch…

Started by Emily Soens

5 Sep 24
Reply by Emily Soens

Abandoned well or cistern in basement?

In the house I recently purchased, the basement has a pipe sticking up about 12 inches out of the floor. The pipe has another pipe inside o…

Started by MJ Sosinski

1 Sep 24
Reply by Lair Tienter

Morning.  This concerns a house built in the 50s but this is my regular hang out. and I just had to share.  This was the cover of Satur…

Started by Amanda Stroud

0 Sep 12

Need help with this one!

My wife and I have a friend who just informed us she will be relocating and therefore will be selling her house. She knows my wife and I ar…

Started by Jenn

8 Sep 4
Reply by Jenn

Intro, new homeowner

I just wanted to say hello, my wife and I just bought an old house in Bucks County PA this past week. The house was built in 1928 and like…

Started by John

8 Sep 4
Reply by John

Need help estimating build date of Colonial

I'm interested in possibly purchasing a Colonial. The house needs a fair amount of work such as leveling, removing vinyl siding, etc... It…

Started by Jenn

8 Sep 4
Reply by Jenn

Design Dilemma for Two Outdoor Adornments

We have a design dilemma. We recently removed all the bushes/shrubbery from our front yard, and we are looking for two outdoor adornments,…

Started by Cal Hillesland

9 Aug 25
Reply by Cal Hillesland

Removing drywall from plaster ceiling?

Hello,  I am restoring the plaster in our 1906 Colonial Revival.  The walls are easy enough.  I’ve been using Plaster Magic to repair crac…

Started by Terri

4 Aug 25
Reply by Lair Tienter

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

© 2015   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service