Old Houses: 1900-1945 (567)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

1917 Colonial

We were led to believe that our home was a Sears home model kit.  In looking through all of the old catalogues, I did not see a perfect fit…

Started by Matt Gubicza

1 Dec 1
Reply by Phil

1900 Victorian style?

Someone can help me figure out the style please.  Built 1900 by the town physician, used as office and home. He was also the local railroad…

Started by Perkins

6 Nov 21
Reply by Perkins

Pellet stove options

We purchased a 1900 era home in Andover NJ a year ago.  The home was completely renovated and flipped but since it is an old home there are…

Started by Donald Harris

0 Nov 15

Handle set parts

Looking for parts to repair my door latch. The thumb latch will not operate properly as it looks like the mechanism has separated. No idea…

Started by Ken Henning

2 Oct 23
Reply by caseypratt

Thoughts on insulating walls in a high humidity area- moisture issues?

I recently purchased a long-vacant brick craftsman bungalow built in the early 1920's.  At the time of purchase, it had an active roof leak…

Started by AP

1 Oct 19
Reply by tracie debisschop

Robert's 1904 farm house

Hello, In Nov 2016 my wife and I along with our 3 kids bought a roughly 3000 sq ft farm house built in 1904 on 160 acres.  I think we are…

Started by Robert C Scott

4 Oct 2
Reply by Robert C Scott

Tracking rivulets around windows

We have rivulets that look like veins appearing around most of our windows. We assume that there is leaking somewhere. We have had a profes…

Started by Kameron Cole

5 Aug 31
Reply by Will Stanton

Saving 120 year old siding

We are in a pickle. Our old Victorian had blown-in insulation that is causing major problems. The house has no sheathing, and the soggy nor…

Started by JRTebow

3 Aug 21
Reply by JRTebow

Should we treat the wood for termites while we are re-siding our old house?

Our old house is unsheathed and was poorly insulated with blown-in before we bought. Now, we suspect due to the rotting lower edges of sid…

Started by JRTebow

1 Aug 19
Reply by Will Stanton

Paneling ID Help Please

We just bought a 1900 house.  It has this paneling on every wall.  I was wondering if anyone knew which era this belongs to?  It is a textu…

Started by Susan Lofton

2 Aug 12
Reply by Lair Tienter

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service