Old Houses: 1900-1945 (576)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Asbestos Concern

Hello,   I have a 1932 Tudor in metro Detroit. It's our first home and, unfortunately, I didn't know anything about asbestos until recently…

Started by Catie

2 9 hours ago
Reply by Lair Tienter

Mysterious Wallpaper Backing. Is it asbestos?

Hello everyone.  I'd like to ask everybody out there a question.  We are remodeling our 1905 Arts & Crafts home.  After removing the…

Started by Madeline Williams-Zoller

2 Feb 22
Reply by Madeline Williams-Zoller

3rd paint color help

I have seen most Victorian ladies have at least a 3rd color or even more. We want to add a 3rd color to our Est.1900 Victorian. We want the…

Started by Perkins

6 Feb 8
Reply by James Olson

Original wood floor vs engineered wood floor? Breathability, permeability and future issues.

Hi Folks,Firstly thanks for taking the time to read this post and give it some thought.We're just in the process of renovating our neglecte…

Started by John James

8 Feb 7
Reply by John James

Considering buying this 1940 home

What architectural style would you say this is? Do you like it? What sorts of things would you do to improve it? https://www.zillow.com/ho

Started by Heather Estes

5 Feb 1
Reply by Heather Estes

Architecture style of my 1920 built house?

Started by Jami Smith

1 Jan 25
Reply by Jami Smith

1830s Stone Home: removing paint from an interior (formerly exterior) 15' X 20' brick wall

Hi everyone - I recently purchased an 1830's eastern PA brick home. An addition was added around the 70s.  The former exterior brick wall i…

Started by Michele Becci

5 Jan 20
Reply by Randall Marder

What style is my 1924 House?

Hello, This is my 1924 country home.  I am in the process of restoring it but am having trouble finding similar style homes from the 1920s.…

Started by Jim

4 Jan 5
Reply by Jim

Adding roof overhang/other suggestions?

I will soon close on this fixer upper. The first thing that will happen is a new roof, the inside actually looks quite nice compared to the…

Started by Pary Huckleberry

0 Dec 30, 2017

1917 Colonial

We were led to believe that our home was a Sears home model kit.  In looking through all of the old catalogues, I did not see a perfect fit…

Started by Matt Gubicza

1 Dec 1, 2017
Reply by Phil

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service