My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: 1900-1945 (497)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Intro, new homeowner

I just wanted to say hello, my wife and I just bought an old house in Bucks County PA this past week. The house was built in 1928 and like…

Started by John

12 on Saturday
Reply by John

Help! need opinions on living room colors.

I'm having a difficult time deciding how to paint my living room on a house I just bought and would appreciate any help. I'm thinking maybe…

Started by Jenn

0 Nov 16

Plaster Question

What is the very best procedure for repairing plaster wall cracks?  We have some cracks that have already returned - thankfully the walls h…

Started by I love old houses!

0 Nov 15

Radiator Paint Question

I need to paint three radiators that are original to my 1903 house.  I am looking for a metallic dark bronze kind of color.  I haven't done…

Started by I love old houses!

10 Nov 15
Reply by I love old houses!

Hello from MS. Asking for information on the style of our house.

Hello, could anyone help me with the style of our new project? It was built in 1908 in Water Valley Ms. We recently added new shingles and…

Started by Jerri Anne Davis

5 Nov 6
Reply by David S

1916 House with no sub floor

Recently closed on a 1916 house on the central coast of California. The house has no subfloor (so you see light through the floor boards wh…

Started by Devin L

3 Nov 4
Reply by Phil

Flooring replacement

Hello My wife and I bought a duplex built in 1903, located in Indianapolis. So far we are having a great time renovating it (we found out…

Started by Mark W

6 Nov 4
Reply by Mark W

plaster washer supplier?

hello all,  new to this forum.   several times over the last 25 years i have purchased plaster washers from a supplier i had found in the m…

Started by j madson

2 Oct 26
Reply by j madson

slated for demo

A good friend of mine has sold his early 1900's home to the city.  It will be demolished, possibly in about 2 weeks.  I took a tour of the…

Started by Elaine Cozort

1 Oct 21
Reply by Andy Streenz

Markel light fixture

Have 4 Markel (M.E.P.) cast iron wall sconces in my early 1930’s bungalow. The fixtures had many coats of wall paint & I want to refini…

Started by JR PEARSON

7 Oct 13

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

© 2015   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service