My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: 1900-1945 (414)

Featured Discussions

Attic Floor insulation

Well it is that time of year... and I thought I should ask before I bought anything. Right now I have a very small amount of "rock wool" in…

Started by MartinLatest Reply

Insulating original windows

Hello! We are in the (long) process of restoring a 1930 bungalow that has 20-odd double-hung windows. My husband is repairing them himself,…

Started by Adrienne MLatest Reply

Color Selection Chart from 1920's

In items left by original owner we found this color selection chart. our home is a Gordon Van Tine catalog house but we feel that the color…

Started by Nick WylieLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Paint problems over old plaster

Two years ago I repaired water damage to an original plaster ceiling and wall in the foyer of a 1913 Colonial Revival.  The water leak had…

Started by Mike Snodgrass

7 yesterday
Reply by Mike Snodgrass

Please help identify age and style of NJ House

Glad to have found this forum.  First post.  Tax Records shows it was built in 1908, but home inspectors think it was build a lot earlier. …

Started by Ambrose Buldo

16 on Sunday
Reply by caseypratt

Two years ago I repaired water damage to an original plaster ceiling and wall in the foyer of a 1913 Colonial Revival.  The water leak had…

0 on Saturday

0 on Saturday

Help Identifying house style!

Hello, everyone! I'm new to the site, and a new (firstime) homeowner. I'm super interested in history and one must for a home has always be…

Started by Tyler

10 on Friday
Reply by Tyler

Help Identifying the style and best choices to restore my old house.

The title pretty much says it all.  I have a house that my family has owned since 1984 (I grew up in it).  After my family moved to Florida…

Started by Jessica

7 Aug 23
Reply by Cate

How to roughly calculate renovation cost before buying an old school.

My husband and I have unique personalities and we like for our home to reflect that. We recently saw this abandoned school and we thought…

Started by Amanda Coglietti

4 Aug 22
Reply by Amanda Coglietti

Finding Studs Behind Plaster

Hi all -- I am trying to hang an extensive Elfa shelving unit on a plaster-on-wood-lath wall in my 1920's NYC apartment. The shelf brackets…

Started by Allen Pierce

8 Aug 22
Reply by Michael Costello

Limestone House - original porch material

This house was built in 1905. The windows are obviously framed in with wood and there are some slate shakes on all sides but the primary…

Started by Josh F.

5 Aug 18
Reply by Josh F.

Replacement storm windows for 1940 Tudor

I have finally had it with struggling with the ancient unwieldy aluminum triple-tracks on our house!  Does anyone have any new recommendati…

Started by Jill Perkins

1 Aug 18
Reply by Deb Beatty Mel

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service