My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (787)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by basswoodLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Do you live in a George F. Barber "pattern book" house?

I am researching the work on noted "pattern book" architect, George F. Barber. Barber is credited with the creation of tens of thousands of…

Started by Chris DiMattei

94 on Monday
Reply by Christina

Easy rules for old house types

I had to share something i said to someone who was asking me advice about doing something on their old house. A Victorian like mine. It man…

Started by Tom owns a Barber #1

12 on Monday
Reply by Tom owns a Barber #1

Pre-1900 home with some sections of unfinished flooring - need opinions

Hello, My husband and I are in the process of buying a pre-1900 home. It has been very well maintained and is very lovely... we feel like t…

Started by Rkat

18 Nov 20
Reply by Rkat

Help! I have an 1850s farmhouse with flooring questions

I thought I had walnut flooring under the carpet in this federal style brick. I have removed the carpet staples and subfloor to find wide p…

Started by Mandy

10 Nov 16
Reply by Mandy

How do you fund restoration?

I am curious how others fund serious restoration projects. We are setting up a GoFundMe and Kickstarter. There are no grants or loan progra…

Started by Susan Bonser

9 Nov 15
Reply by Susan Bonser

COMPLETE 1884 VICTORIAN HOUSE TRIM PACKAGE" BEST I HAVE FOUND"

HOWDY, WE ARE CURRENTLY DISMANTELING A AWESOME 1884 VICTORIAN HOME IN SOUTHWEST ILLINOIS. THE HOUSE HAS THE BEST INTERIOR TRIM THAT I HAVE…

Started by Doc Goodall Keys

6 Nov 13
Reply by Doc Goodall Keys

Help With Fireplace

mantel.jpg What is the deal?  No visible heath, firebox, gas lines, holes, etc?  What is this?  Just decoration?  In a c1915 W Philly twin…

Started by Marla McCulloch

3 Nov 12
Reply by Lair Tienter

1884 VICTORIAN HOUSE SALVAGE COMPLETE INTERIOR AND MORE FOR SALE

WE ARE CURRENTLY DISMANTELING A WONDERFUL HOME THAT WAS TRIMMED OUT BY THE FAMED CHICAGO COMPANY" THE PULMANN PLEASURE CAR COMPANY" THIS HO…

Started by Doc Goodall Keys

0 Nov 3

Floor adhesive pains

After removing the luan and then masonite, we have 'most' of the floor with the original linoleum "dress up" and it has a tar like adhesive…

Started by Tom owns a Barber #1

8 Nov 3
Reply by Tom owns a Barber #1

Oil to Gas Heat

Hi this is my first post.  I have a two family house built in 1923.  I have oil steam heat using the cast iron radiators.  I am in process…

Started by Diamond Dixon

22 Nov 3
Reply by Diamond Dixon

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service