My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (856)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by Brian CampbellLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Why is there a giant hole in.my basement floor?

Has anyone seen anything like this before? I knew it was here when I bought the house, and I'm guessing it's the old cistern. It had a piec…

Started by Matthew

10 Apr 17
Reply by Matthew

IDEAS FOR BALCONY RAILING IMPACTED BY BUILDING CODE

The railing on the balcony of this beautiful 1895 house is only 24" high. W e are having to bring it to code  due to liability issues as we…

Started by julie gordon

5 Apr 15
Reply by julie gordon

Havent posted in a while....question about bathroom hardware

Greeting folks   Hoping some of my old friends are still checking in. In 2010 we purchased a reproduction clawfoot shower kit from "Baths…

Started by PStewart

3 Apr 9
Reply by Susan Scofield

Removing interior millwork

Readers;  Here is one for the fussy pros.  I have a room with softwood millwork around the windows, a chair rail to hide the seam of the sh…

Started by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

4 Mar 11
Reply by Franz

Fieldstone Basement (Rubble) Wall insulation - Vapour Barrier required?

My wife and I own a Century farm house on the North shore of lake Ontario about an hour east of Toronto. The 3 level house, with basement a…

Started by Gustav Rodricks

1 Mar 5
Reply by Franz

Home Inspection on an 1890 Home

My husband and I are looking to purchase a new home. Our first home was a townhome from the 80s. The town we are looking in has a lot of ol…

Started by J. Frenchy

4 Mar 1
Reply by Phil

Basement wall-Loadbearing?

Hey all, I'm new to the forums and would like to introduce myself along with my question. I'm a young acocuntant located in Utah.I love old…

Started by Ryan Pringle

1 Feb 26
Reply by caseypratt

Anyone have a cistern?

I just discovered, (to my joy filled snoopy dance!) that my 1827 Brick federal, retains the circa 1791 spring-fed cistern that the house an…

Started by Leah Acosta

69 Feb 24
Reply by caseypratt

Recommendation for wood kitchen counter

We're restoring a built in cabinet in our 1892 shingle style Victorian and are trying to determine the most durable finish we can use on th…

Started by Daria Kachmar

5 Feb 9
Reply by Randall Marder

Need some paint advice

We have enjoyed our old hose for over 20 years. It's preservation has has been a labor of love.  When we first purchased it, the exterior w…

Started by Kory Krofft

2 Feb 8
Reply by Lair Tienter

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2016   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service