My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (767)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by basswoodLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Can you help figure out what kind of wood this is?

I'm trying to figure out what kind of wood this is.  The house was built pre-1900 in central Minnesota.  White oak appears to be the main w…

Started by Kristin

4 5 hours ago
Reply by Tom owns a Barber #1

Yikes. I just bought an 1898 Victorian.

Hi,   I have always loved old homes and had the opportunity to buy an 1898 Victorian and so my partner and I did. The house had been neglec…

Started by Adam Melero

9 9 hours ago
Reply by Lair Tienter

House Dates

Readers; Here is a Question for the Pros; Background first.  I have an 1860, by County Records , 2 story House. Just today I was fixing the…

Started by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

20 yesterday
Reply by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

Some authentic color schemes

Here are twenty-four authentic late-Victorian color schemes taken fromhttps://archive.org/details/CatalogueAndPriceListOfTheManufacturesOfT…

Started by Ed Ferris

19 on Saturday
Reply by Ed Ferris

Plaster lath time line

Here is an 'easy' one, I hope!   What is the earlyist date for the wooden lath on a wall, to be the standard, thin, narrow, and short unifo…

Started by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

3 Sep 18
Reply by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

oak carpeting?

so here is my question , my house was built in 1888, the kitchen floor is side nailed maple, the front hall and recieving room side nailed…

Started by Quintin - Walt Tiffany

2 Sep 13
Reply by Randall Marder

Insulating 1928 fieldstone house attic ceiling

Hello everyone, I own a 1928 fieldstone two story house.  And could use some help thinking about re-insulating the attic. Originally the at…

Started by Julia Steed Mawson

0 Sep 9

Hanging Lincrusta

Hello, I have been a subscriber to Old House Jpurnal since I moved into my 1870 Italianate in 1991. It was a rent a wreck heading for demol…

Started by Leigh Semilof

5 Sep 5
Reply by James Olson

Insulation Question, Helpful Suggstions or Hints?

Demo work has finally begun! Any suggestions for insulation? I was thinking R-19 as I live in Pittsburgh PA and the winters can often be we…

Started by Will H

24 Sep 3
Reply by Mark W. Hoffa

Pre-1900 home with some sections of unfinished flooring - need opinions

Hello, My husband and I are in the process of buying a pre-1900 home. It has been very well maintained and is very lovely... we feel like t…

Started by Rkat

6 Sep 1
Reply by Richard Pryor

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service