My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (892)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by Brian CampbellLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Rounded openings on 1885 Stick Victorian

Still researching our new property so we can come up with a plan. The local heritage commission states that large rectangular shaped openin…

Started by KARODY ROBBINS

5 8 hours ago
Reply by KARODY ROBBINS

New Restorer Buys Huge 1893 Stick Vick

Please share any advice!  This house is very well known in our town and has a beautiful history, but interior fixtures, including original…

Started by KARODY ROBBINS

12 9 hours ago
Reply by KARODY ROBBINS

How to remove backing from tile from a 1903 Queen Anne Victorian

I had to remove my mantel and tile surround because of a serious chimney flashing leak (now repaired)  The tile is stuck to a material buil…

Started by Michele Hamlin

4 yesterday
Reply by Michele Hamlin

Ductless heating and cooling...HOW DO YOU HIDE THE UNITS??

We have an ancient ducted system in our 1900 Victorian. The ductwork in the basement is the HVAC equivalent of the Winchester Mansion. The…

Started by JRTebow

4 yesterday
Reply by JRTebow

Adding exterior shutters to a Victorian

We have just bought a Transitional Queen Anne style home built in 1900. I have been considering adding shutters to the exterior for several…

Started by JRTebow

0 on Saturday

1889 Victorian Library Nearing Completion

Hello all -    Especially Lair, Phil, Martin and other old friends. Its 8 1/2 years since we bought the house and 6 1/2 since living in it…

Started by PStewart

9 on Thursday
Reply by PStewart

1950 house plaster wall

Hi everyone, I am the owner of a Canadian 1950 house in Ontario. Looking at a hole in a wall, I can see the plaster that has been used in i…

Started by Fred

4 Jan 17
Reply by Franz

Connected bedrooms?

Does anyone know why historic, pre 1900's home plans have bedrooms with doors connecting them to another bedroom? My only thought was for y…

Started by Shane

2 Jan 14
Reply by PStewart

Building Wooden Frame Inside Historic Brick Structure

Good afternoon fellow members.  I need advice on a problem that I have discovered in the home that I want to purchase.  It is an early to m…

Started by John Barnes

6 Jan 8
Reply by Franz

Sandstone sealing

Hi, I have an 1832 home built from large cut sandstone blocks.  We have found two blocks in our old kitchen that are losing quite a bit of…

Started by Brian Adams

4 Jan 6
Reply by Lair Tienter

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service