My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (749)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by basswoodLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

"I" House Stairs? More Photos

Hey Ho! Old house fans, here are some more photos of the 'maybe stairs' location. This hall is 17 feet long and 33 inches between joists. …

Started by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

1 1 hour ago
Reply by cblehmann

How do you fund restoration?

I am curious how others fund serious restoration projects. We are setting up a GoFundMe and Kickstarter. There are no grants or loan progra…

Started by Susan Bonser

4 1 hour ago
Reply by cblehmann

Painting old Victorian roof stripes on an asphalt roof? Photo and suggestions...?

All -     Our house orginally had some pretty cool roof stripe designs painted on the cedar shingles. We now have asphalt shingles and th…

Started by PStewart

10 3 hours ago
Reply by Tom owns a Barber #1

Cry Peccivi (sic) Stairway is not

Readers;  My Maybe Stair case is not such.  I did some more 'digging' and found a power tool was used to cut away OLD  1x16 fir planks. I f…

0 on Saturday

Do you live in a George F. Barber "pattern book" house?

I am researching the work on noted "pattern book" architect, George F. Barber. Barber is credited with the creation of tens of thousands of…

Started by Chris DiMattei

86 on Thursday
Reply by Linda Palladino

Stair Location - an "I" House

Readers;  Here is one for guess work & perhaps a bit of educated guessing as well. Background 1st: I have an "I" house, a rectangular …

0 on Thursday

Restoring a front door - maybe?

This front door is currently serving as a living room window on the inside of the house. I'm wondering, if I wanted to turn it into a fron…

Started by Michelle Vibonese

6 Jul 16
Reply by Donald Shore

Need knobsets for old thin (1") doors

I have two old thin doors in my 1845 farmhouse that need new bed/bath handlesets.  The ones currently on them are cheesy old Kwiksets, and…

Started by Pete Smith

8 Jul 15
Reply by Dennis

Foursquare House, Undersized, What's it Called?

Here in the Cleveland-Akron area there are thousands of houses that look exactly like Foursquares but aren't. Same square shape, same full…

Started by David Daye

1 Jul 14
Reply by David Daye

Stone foundation need repair - should I attempt to do it myself?

Hi, I bought an old log house (around 1850 maybe). The foundation seems solid exempt that it needs repointing. I watched some videos on You…

Started by Yves Mailhot

3 Jul 13
Reply by Randall Marder

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service