Old Houses: Pre-1900 (901)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by Brian CampbellLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Please help me identify beautiful hand painted chandelier.

Please help me identify this big beautiful lady.  She is hand painted with quite a bit of crazing on the china.  Arms are brass, similar to…

Started by KARODY ROBBINS

5 on Thursday
Reply by KARODY ROBBINS

Slate Roof Repair

It's been 15 years this month since I had my slate roof installed, had the box gutters rebuilt and lined in copper and had copper downspout…

Started by Susan Scofield

2 Mar 14
Reply by Susan Scofield

Painting Iron Grates with Painted Floors

Hi - 1790 Tiny House here.  Painting my entry way in a black and white diamond pattern and I have an iron grate, smack in the middle of the…

Started by Pamela Logan

4 Mar 10
Reply by Pamela Logan

Lifting perfectly good wood floor to find more decorative wood floor underneath

So on our 1885 Victorian, some side rooms have very narrow wood floors, often laid in a decorative pattern. In the middle or main rooms of…

11 Mar 10
Reply by Phil

Floor restoration options - Please help

Hi all, Hoping this community can help me! We recently purchased a home built in 1865 and while there are still many beautiful and origina…

Started by Stephanie

6 Mar 7
Reply by johninelgin

What Style is my Philly Rowhouse?

I am in the process of buying this rowhouse in South Philadelphia and I can't quite put my finger on the style. I think it is Italianate ba…

Started by Devyn

1 Mar 5
Reply by Nora James

New Restorer Buys Huge 1893 Stick Vick

Please share any advice!  This house is very well known in our town and has a beautiful history, but interior fixtures, including original…

15 Mar 2
Reply by KARODY ROBBINS

How to remove backing from tile from a 1903 Queen Anne Victorian

I had to remove my mantel and tile surround because of a serious chimney flashing leak (now repaired)  The tile is stuck to a material buil…

Started by Michele Hamlin

5 Mar 2
Reply by Donald Shore

Is it desirable to reattach plaster keys when re-insulating attic?

An example of how one little project morphs into several bigger projects... House in mid-Michigan (42 degrees north latitude, USDA Zone 5)…

Started by Italianate in Ionia

18 Mar 2
Reply by Jonah Stein

Exterior vs. Interior Storms

In a couple of months, we'll start experiencing our first winter with our 1882 frame house. Luckily, we aren't actually living in it yet. T…

Started by Dianne

18 Mar 2
Reply by Sloane

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service