My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (724)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by basswoodLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Hanging Lincrusta

Hello, I have been a subscriber to Old House Jpurnal since I moved into my 1870 Italianate in 1991. It was a rent a wreck heading for demol…

Started by Leigh Semilof

3 8 hours ago
Reply by James Olson

Should the ceiling be stenciled or left clear?

All -     I'm having a difficult conundrum here. The original plan for this dining room was to have an orderly starfield pattern (with sm…

Started by PStewart

8 yesterday
Reply by Mark W. Hoffa

What do you call this door knob/latch?

I have several of these throughout my house. I wanted to order a replacement part for one but I can't find this same knob & latch anywh…

Started by John Dingman

16 yesterday
Reply by Andy Streenz

Victorian Dining Room Almost Reborn

Even on Easter the house doesn't end!! Dining Room Update. Ceiling finished (in 1880's/1890s Aesthetic Movement stencil -- custom cut!) a…

Started by PStewart

2 on Sunday
Reply by PStewart

Exciting Historical Purchase and Renovation Project in Las Vegas, New Mexico

I am posting this here as we are all interested in renovation of historic properties, but also because we enjoy the beauty and love they al…

Started by Bill Hendrickson

0 on Saturday

Wood sashes

The previous owner removed 8 of our wooden sashes and replaced with improperly sized vinyl windows. I plan on making my own sashes by order…

Started by Kyle Barker

6 Apr 14
Reply by Tom owns a Barber #1

Easy rules for old house types

I had to share something i said to someone who was asking me advice about doing something on their old house. A Victorian like mine. It man…

Started by Tom owns a Barber #1

8 Apr 10
Reply by Franz

Standard bathroom sink

We bought a Standard oval pedestal sink at an architectural salvage store this weekend and overall it's in fair condition. However, it does…

Started by Kyle Barker

0 Apr 7

Late Victorian Dining Room Update II - Nearing the Finish Line for Woodwork

Ok Guys and gals -    Are any of my old friends still posting here? Started on this site in 2008 when we bought our 1st Queen Anne in Osw…

Started by PStewart

24 Apr 7
Reply by PStewart

Houses With Names

In May we purchased an 1865 house. (You can watch the videos). It is close to the center of town and was probably built and owned by one of…

Started by CatwomanofV

23 Apr 4
Reply by Tom owns a Barber #1

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service