My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (820)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by basswoodLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Introduction and Some Help

Hello, I am new to the site and am hoping some one can help me with a question about my house. I have a ~1915 Victorian house in upstate N…

Started by Jim Quinn

22 on Thursday
Reply by Diane Hager

sealing a new pine floor in a cupola

Hi, I am looking for advice on what is the best product to use on a new pine floor that I have installyed in my cupola. I was planning on u…

Started by Leigh Semilof

5 Jul 22
Reply by Leigh Semilof

Removing Wallpaper from 1840's built house

What are the best strategies for removing wallpaper from a very well maintained 1840' built house.  Someone lived here approx. 3 years ago.…

Started by F. Lynn

4 Jul 21
Reply by James Olson

New Closet/Plaster/House history lesson

Readers; Yes, it has been a while since my last post-but- I have 'moved house' into the 1860 house of this forum fame, and have been at wor…

Started by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

7 Jul 20
Reply by caseypratt

Anyone use Certainteed Grand Manor or Carriage House shingles?

It looks like the roof on our 1890's Victorian is shot and we need to replace it this summer.  It will be a complete tear off (2 existing l…

Started by John Ochman

5 Jul 16
Reply by John Ochman

Help dating timbers in old house.

We have enjoyed learning about our old home, so much so that we created a site to capture our research. The reason I write is that it our C…

Started by Chris

12 Jun 22
Reply by Chris

Antique (bronze?) Lighting

Hi folks. I just acquired these hanging lights. Not sure what to do with them; should I rewire them? The marrettes are ceramic, I've never…

Started by Mal & Greg

4 Jun 14
Reply by Mal & Greg

Finding original colors

I was wondering if any one knows of a way to determine the original colors of a house , i have heard stories where an old photos is used an…

Started by Quintin - Walt Tiffany

6 May 21
Reply by James Olson

Need Some Painting Advice On Victorian House

As soon as the white stuff that is outside goes away and the ground can be walked upon without sinking into the mud, we are going to have o…

Started by CatwomanofV

12 May 17
Reply by Lair Tienter

Scaffolds, or pump jacks

I'm thinking about painting my old wood sided house. It needs a paint job and some minor structural work under overhangs, window frames etc…

Started by KenK

4 Apr 25
Reply by KenK

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2015   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service