My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (851)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by Brian CampbellLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Recommendation for wood kitchen counter

We're restoring a built in cabinet in our 1892 shingle style Victorian and are trying to determine the most durable finish we can use on th…

Started by Daria Kachmar

5 on Tuesday
Reply by Randall Marder

Need some paint advice

We have enjoyed our old hose for over 20 years. It's preservation has has been a labor of love.  When we first purchased it, the exterior w…

Started by Kory Krofft

2 on Monday
Reply by Lair Tienter

Warming up to the Cover

When we first moved into the house, we discovered a pair or radiator covers in the basement.  They were getting rusty due to some moisture…

Started by TriDog

3 on Monday
Reply by caseypratt

Insulation

What is the best way to insulate the walls of an 1870's wood frame house with only German lap siding, no sheathing?I'm concerned that foam…

Started by Randy Wagner

6 on Sunday
Reply by Robby Baker

Replacing the back stairway in a home.

Greetings all, Our old house was changed in the late 1920s with the removal of the back stairway from the second floor to the attic. The fr…

Started by Mike Clark

1 Feb 3
Reply by Phil

Is it safe to mount a pot rack on a plaster wall?

I am researching mounting a pot rack on a plaster wall. We have an 1890s Queen Anne. The wall I would like to mount the pot rack on is a ki…

Started by Eileen Dushek-Manthe

2 Jan 19
Reply by Franz

Is my floor old and worth saving or a well done fake?

Hi - I'm renovating an older section of my home and different contractors and architects have told me the random width floors are from the…

Started by david rosner

7 Jan 19
Reply by caseypratt

1780 House, attic floor mystery

I am pulling up the attic floor in my New England colonial. I find that there is a subfloor. Most of the flooring is random width 5/8ths pi…

Started by Warrington Faust

3 Jan 19
Reply by cblehmann

1895 folk victorian

I'm currently renovating an 1895 single story folk Victorian home in Pinehurst NC.  The original pictures showed Victorian porch posts whic…

Started by Bart boudreaux

2 Jan 18
Reply by Bart boudreaux

windows 1895 folk victorian

I'm currently renovating an 1895 folk Victorian.  Theres a hodge podge of windows on the house with a mix of original and vinyl windows.  S…

Started by Bart boudreaux

0 Jan 18

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2016   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service