My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (815)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by basswoodLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Scaffolds, or pump jacks

I'm thinking about painting my old wood sided house. It needs a paint job and some minor structural work under overhangs, window frames etc…

Started by KenK

4 on Saturday
Reply by KenK

Help dating timbers in old house.

We have enjoyed learning about our old home, so much so that we created a site to capture our research. The reason I write is that it our C…

Started by Chris

9 on Friday
Reply by Chris

Accordion lath

Hi. I was wondering if it was worth the effort to de-nail and save some accordion lath I have? A friend of ours is doing work in an 1840 ho…

Started by Mal & Greg

1 on Friday
Reply by Sean Maher

Finding original colors

I was wondering if any one knows of a way to determine the original colors of a house , i have heard stories where an old photos is used an…

Started by Quintin - Walt Tiffany

4 on Friday
Reply by Sean Maher

How to tell difference in old brick

Hello.  My wife and I live in the house that she grew up in, it has been in here family since it was built in 1893.  We have been contempla…

Started by Kevin Fuerst

2 on Friday
Reply by Lair Tienter

Need Some Painting Advice On Victorian House

As soon as the white stuff that is outside goes away and the ground can be walked upon without sinking into the mud, we are going to have o…

Started by CatwomanofV

10 Apr 17
Reply by CatwomanofV

Finish coat on 1850 plaster and lath wall

I've tried to read up on anything I can about plaster and lath and the finish coat and what to use but having no luck in understanding what…

Started by Tina

11 Apr 7
Reply by Tina

Making Interior Plaster/Help Asked

Readers;    I am searching about for Interior plastering information. 1st how do you make the plaster, from scratch?  I know you cannot use…

Started by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

16 Mar 25
Reply by Daniel

Rebuilding old shutters

Prox 1860. I have 8 shutters which need to be rebuilt, stripped and repainted. My questions are: When priming, do I go all the way to the e…

Started by Arthur Daniel (Dan) Reppert

4 Mar 24
Reply by Arthur Daniel (Dan) Reppert

Some authentic color schemes

Here are twenty-four authentic late-Victorian color schemes taken fromhttps://archive.org/details/CatalogueAndPriceListOfTheManufacturesOfT…

Started by Ed Ferris

24 Mar 15
Reply by Ed Ferris

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2015   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service