My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (830)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by Brian CampbellLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Any Experience with Bathtub Refinishing?

Now that I have my bathroom almost done, I finally cleaned up the used tub that I installed. It was a 50/50 chance that the surface would b…

Started by Karan Andrea

17 yesterday
Reply by Ken klemmer

Bondo Bird Repair

FYI - Some sparrows carved out a nice little space last spring in the opposing corners of where my roof eaves meet. They were great at find…

Started by KenK

4 on Wednesday
Reply by KenK

Do you live in a George F. Barber "pattern book" house?

I am researching the work on noted "pattern book" architect, George F. Barber. Barber is credited with the creation of tens of thousands of…

Started by Chris DiMattei

101 on Tuesday
Reply by Ken Gasper

Warped window parting strips

Some of the parting strips in my windows are warped and pulled out of their slots at the bottom. They look quite twisted, but now that the…

Started by Denise M Costley

6 Sep 25
Reply by Denise M Costley

Transom Hardware- can you date it????

Please help date this hardware! It is the transom mechanism from our per-1900 Queen Anne. Thanks !!!!!! -Sandy

Started by Sandy

3 Sep 25
Reply by Sandy

1780 House, attic floor mystery

I am pulling up the attic floor in my New England colonial. I find that there is a subfloor. Most of the flooring is random width 5/8ths pi…

Started by Warrington Faust

0 Sep 23

oh gutters!!

Why do you think the gutter guy is talking me into K-style gutters on the tallest part of my Victorian?  I know he's trying to help me save…

Started by Kari Dunn

14 Sep 19
Reply by Phil

An Appropriate Lime Mortar Mix Recipe for Ontario Canada Climate?

I plan to repoint my stone house,  and need a fail safe historically appropriate lime mortar recipe.  Any advice will be most appreciated, …

Started by Mal & Greg

25 Sep 19
Reply by Adam Proba

Anyone use Certainteed Grand Manor or Carriage House shingles?

It looks like the roof on our 1890's Victorian is shot and we need to replace it this summer.  It will be a complete tear off (2 existing l…

Started by John Ochman

12 Sep 15
Reply by John Ochman

Cellulose Question

Readers; Here is one for the Pros.  In the great world of DIY the vendors 'fall all over ; the glories of cellulose  insulation. That stuff…

Started by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

2 Sep 15
Reply by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

© 2015   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service