Old Houses: Pre-1900 (917)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by Brian CampbellLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

George F. Barber "pattern book" house

We have just purchased a "Queen Anne" home and will be moving to from Oregon in December.  The address is 128 W Main St, Sterling Kansas. …

Started by Rod Lloyd

3 Oct 11
Reply by Phil

What style is this home?

We are purchasing this home. We know it was built in 1890 by a wealthy man for his daughter. It has an attached carriage home in the back.…

Started by Dawna Waters

2 Oct 11
Reply by Phil

Front Porch Steps

Thirty years ago when I bought this old Craftsman house i replaced the porch floor and steps. The elephantine columns were unsalvageable, a…

Started by Lynn Sherrell

2 Sep 10
Reply by Lair Tienter

In search of a Carpenter who specializes in old home restoration

Hi All,  I am in search of a carpenter or contractor that could help me with my front door project on my 1865 home. My front door was repl…

Started by Stephanie

13 Aug 31
Reply by Stephanie

In search of 19th century front door

In search of a front door to replace this horrid Home Depot special that is on our beautiful 1865 home. I'm guessing the original door was…

Started by Stephanie

26 Aug 24
Reply by Stephanie

How to Paint Over Glossy Trim Paint

All of the original trim in our 1885 Stick Victorian is intact, but painted.  It is painted with that old kind of oil based paint that had…

Started by KARODY ROBBINS

1 Aug 17
Reply by Phil

Floor restoration options - Please help

Hi all, Hoping this community can help me! We recently purchased a home built in 1865 and while there are still many beautiful and origina…

Started by Stephanie

7 Aug 13
Reply by Stephanie

pine timbers

Wood Pros- Help requested!  This writer is possessed of an 1860's Cape style house, modified in 1889 to become an "I" house which it remain…

Started by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

2 Aug 13
Reply by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

Nasty Paint on Wood Framing Around Aluminum Window Sashes

Gregory Macneil's article, "Getting Under Second Skins" focused on prepping and repainting the wood shingles discovered under old vinyl sid…

Started by Catherine Brooks

1 Jul 27
Reply by Catherine Brooks

storm windows: replacement options

We have an 1890s Victorian. We are looking at options to replace the wooden storm windows with something that gives us more function. Plus,…

Started by Eileen Dushek-Manthe

5 Jul 4
Reply by Rich Ecke

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service