My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Old Houses: Pre-1900 (869)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by Brian CampbellLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Best wood for uncovered porch steps?

What wood(s) is the best for exterior, uncovered porch steps? What has worked for some of you? In three weeks my father-in-law is coming up…

Started by Phil

4 on Friday
Reply by Phil

Any Experience with Bathtub Refinishing?

Now that I have my bathroom almost done, I finally cleaned up the used tub that I installed. It was a 50/50 chance that the surface would b…

Started by Karan Andrea

18 on Friday
Reply by Matt

Front Door Help

Hi All,  I am in the process of purchasing a home built in 1865. There are a lot of really great features of this home (the wrap around por…

Started by Stephanie

7 Jul 18
Reply by Stephanie

Choosing Paint Colors

I am currently stripping the siding off this building and replacing the clapboard underneath with new clapboard as it is mostly rotted away…

Started by Jeremy L

5 Jul 14
Reply by caseypratt

Is this a Victorian light fitting or not?

Started by Cat Wood

7 Jul 13
Reply by StoneHouseGuy

How to treat original wood floor before covering it

I am doing some remodeling on our old homestead and have a question regarding the hardwood floors in the house.  The house was built in the…

Started by Joel Zimmer

1 Jul 13
Reply by Lair Tienter

IDEAS FOR BALCONY RAILING IMPACTED BY BUILDING CODE

The railing on the balcony of this beautiful 1895 house is only 24" high. W e are having to bring it to code  due to liability issues as we…

Started by julie gordon

6 Jun 28
Reply by Cat Wood

My website on Brooklyn parquetry floor borders

For the past year I have been visiting houses in Brooklyn taking pictures of the floors. I go to open houses and take house tours. Before I…

Started by Don Wiss

6 Jun 23
Reply by James Olson

Hello, new to the forum.

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wanted to say hello. My in-laws bought a very old house back in 2010 that they are restoring. My wife and I li…

Started by David Singer

5 Jun 23
Reply by James Olson

Pros and cons of winterizing

We shut down my mother's house for the winter in Oct. 2014, drained pipes professionally, etc., kept the electricity on. The house is in Ma…

Started by Linda stearns

4 Jun 23
Reply by Robert T. Hale

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2016   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service