Old Houses: Pre-1900 (931)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by Brian CampbellLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Portiere Rods

Anyone know where I can get these?  I'd love to find salvaged ones but nowhere to be found.  Thank you.

Started by I love old houses!

1 yesterday
Reply by psychochix

Fireplace? Help

Hello, I bought my house almost two years ago.  I was told it was built in 1885, but I'm not sure if it was all built at that time.  It has…

Started by Amy Murray

1 on Saturday
Reply by Lair Tienter

Stair railing

So, we bought this 1895 house about 2 years ago, and have been renovating ever since... Bathrooms, Kitchen, exterior, etc.. :) Last (big) p…

Started by Michael Tetzner

5 Mar 10
Reply by Linda Brown

Replacement Doors?

This is my first post! I could use some advice about replacing doors in the 1867 Victorian my partner and I just bought. Most of the doors…

Started by Erica Mena

2 Feb 22
Reply by psychochix

Window Pile

this is my first post! I'm in the need to replace pile in older aluminum windows. The only markings on the windows are written in marker H6…

Started by Michael Lalla

3 Feb 8
Reply by James Olson

Cast iron baseboard - low profile

Hi everyone!  I am renovating my 1830 brick home and replacing old fin tube radiators with cast iron. I have one room on the upper floor t…

Started by Michele Becci

1 Feb 8
Reply by James Olson

Asbestos or effloresence

I've got crumbling mortar in my 1900 home basement. It is fluffy almost and creates a fine white powder. Trying to decide if there is any c…

Started by Hnl12

7 Feb 3
Reply by Randall Marder

What to do about worn 18th century floors?

Hi all, I need some old home expertise regarding my floors. Our house was built in 1775 and the floors, as far as I know, are original to…

Started by Nicole Collins

5 Jan 16
Reply by Randall Marder

Penn Marshall Stone House blog.

My parents bought the place in 1971 when I was 3 years old. I grew up in this house. My parents had a vision and a dream for this place. Th…

Started by Kevin Bishop

5 Jan 15
Reply by Kevin Bishop

China cabinet

Hello, i just purchased a house which according to the town records was built in 1887. The dining room has an awful tile floor which I will…

Started by Elvo

7 Jan 15
Reply by Elvo

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service