Old Houses: Pre-1900 (944)

Featured Discussions

Greek Revival Kitchen

I have an 1847 half a double in a small PA town. My kitchen was originally separate from the main house but was connected via a new dining…

Started by JanLatest Reply

Bathroom with Wrap-Around Drawer Vanity

This was a fun creative piece of work I did this past summer. Hope it is interesting: All the best, Basswood http://basswoodcarpentry.c

Started by Brian CampbellLatest Reply

in-roof gutters

I'm about to get the roof replaced on my 1894 Victorian. Due to the crown moulding on all the fascia, the gutters are actually placed into…

Started by LeRoy WilliamsLatest Reply

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Chimney: remove or keep?

We are having some work done on our 1890s house. The chimney is no longer used for ventilation. The roofers removed the top of it when they…

Started by Eileen Dushek-Manthe

5 2 hours ago
Reply by Kate Cross

Figure out age of small timber framed cape

Hi there, We bought what we thought was a small circa 1800 timber framed cape this summer. The listing stated the year built as 1800 and th…

Started by Eric Kelly

11 2 hours ago
Reply by Kate Cross

Renovating fireplace to try to cure damp problem

Hi All, I've been trying to find a solution to my blue lias stone floor becoming damp in wet weather. The stone flooring is most likely la…

Started by Oliver Foster

1 2 hours ago
Reply by Kate Cross

Sill beam replacement

The sill beam (bottom plate) sitting on top of my foundation is rotted out for about a four foot reach and needs to be replaced. Although I…

Started by Tom Price

2 13 hours ago
Reply by Kate Cross

Anybody Out There Having Problems Finding Furniture That Fits Through Narrow Doors or Stairways?

25 years ago I realized that there were no high end sofas, sleepers or sectionals available that would fit through the narrow doors and sta…

Started by Jeff Frank

0 Jun 15

Please solve this hardware mystery!

I've spotted some unusual hardware in Squerryes Court, Westerham, Kent.  Can anyone explain what's going on?  Why is there push plates/door…

Started by RAH

0 Jun 11

1800s insulation?

How were homes insulated before 1900? I know this is a broad question, but I'm guessing, e.g., an Italianate with a brick outside wall simp…

Started by Lawrence Bottorff

0 Jun 8

Building a new home!

Hi, I have inherited my grandad's house. It is a very old house, which he had build in his youth. But no one has been living there since th…

Started by Paul Cromer

0 May 30

Door wood?

Started by Susan Lofton

4 May 30
Reply by Paul Cromer

Return of the Native/Part 02

Readers; Hallo from the Norumbega!  Its been awhile since my last contribution to this forum. "Stuff"/Life/&Death have taken up my time…

Started by Mr. Charles ANTHONY

0 Apr 15

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service