Hello,  I purchased this 1794 home four years ago.  It had been "saved" by a local person as it is believed to be the oldest house in town.  It was indeed a labor of love for them, and I've no doubt they exhausted their budget, but a lot of DIY was done (in DIY quality) and quite a few areas of "let's just paint over that") not to mention 200 years of DIY plus before them.  The interior is by no means "historic" looking, there is what may have been once a fireplace (closed in) and no working fireplaces.  It was once split into two apartments.  There are some nice old wood floors and the original part of the house is very solid.  It is also on the NRHP but with no restrictions.  After much research I gave up on the idea of keeping some of the older windows and opted for warmth and light.  The pine tree, BTW is gone now so the front is open and much landscaping has been done since this first photo was taken when I moved in. 

The front porch with the columns is rapidly deteriorating and in reality, I just want to get rid of it completely.  I've been in touch with the historical society and can find no photos or sketches of what the original may have looked like.  I've no doubt the section to the left was added later.  I'm thinking of just having it removed, opening it up (which would solve one of my major complaints about the dining room behind it, darkness) and adding Georgian style molding around the door and some simple front steps.  This would also open up my landscaping opportunities.  I'm a big gardener. 

I guess I'm looking for opinions, thoughts, ideas from other old house lovers? 

Thank you!

June

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Curious.... the property is on the NRHP but has no restrictions.... I didn't think that was possible. Can you explain?

Also, noticing the house number is 13... bad juju. Just kidding.

If you would reply to the first question, I can respond. Merry Christmas to all.

Attachments:

I have no idea how.  I have the booklet and I'm guessing it's because it fell in with several homes in the area now categorized as a historic district?  Because history on this house is extremely light, it's hard to say.  It does have it's own plaque, so I'm honestly not sure, but I do know I wouldn't have bought it if it had restrictions.  I've been in touch with the historical society and no one seems to have any old photos from any time period or sketches, etc, although it is believed to be the oldest home in town.  Yes, the number 13.  A pivotal number in my life and so far, other than the usual old house woes, no bad juju and not even a single ghost who cares to make their appearance. 

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service