My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Dining room hearth was buckled and repaired many times before I bought house, had  the floor under jacked up and am now trying to restore the hearth, found wood floor about 4" down under 2 inch layer of cement and 2 inches of sand and rocks, should I use bricks and sand in bottom and then cement to fill before I try to replace with tiles? Thanks any suggestions will be helpful

Views: 1965

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you going to refinish the floor?  I'd delay dealing with the edge treatment till that's done, if so, Brass strip would look nice with tiles... If you refinish the floor, you can probably narrow the transition width...

Yes someday the floor will be refinished, have 9 floors that need it, house is a money pit, but i love every inch of it, we argued with everyone when they said it was 4000+ sq feet, and last night my husband discovered a hidden attic, actually 2 one on the sount and north sides of the house that entrances had been sheet rocked over and we found the 1500 sq feet that was missing, huge hipped roof with no windows but space galore, interestingly enough the space is at different levels, when you first go into the attic, it is level but if you look up there is another level about 8 feet up that is about 10x 15 and on the other side there is an area that is framed and goes down about 8 feet not sure of the size of that area would have to drop a ladder into it, we are exploring, no flooring,just beams to walk across, ceiling on the south side appears to have old copper ceiling tiles or maybe that was the roof?

Yep.  I discovered a 'secret room' above the main fire place, a second 'root cellar' basement - not connected with the main basement - and numerous covered-over windows, cabinets... Old house ownership is a constant treasure hunt!!

Anyhow - a 'temporary' edge treatment that covers the color change, or a touch-up on the wood floor... maybe a painted transition with a stencil (do as follows:  FIRST, Bulls-Eye shellac - it's easy to remove and makes a BARRIER for paint absorption. THEN apply a base paint, then stencil) 

Just some ideas...

Thanks for all the advise, now I have to get back to the fore hearth, stripped a door, painted 2 rooms, lots of plasterwork and cleaning since I started this thread. Will keep you posted how it goes.

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service