In search of a Carpenter who specializes in old home restoration

Hi All, 

I am in search of a carpenter or contractor that could help me with my front door project on my 1865 home. My front door was replaced over 15 years ago with a hideous home depot fiber glass door and the entire entrance was modified. I am not 100% sure what the entrance used to look like or what type of door was originally there. I have been doing some research and even have another post on this forum (in search of 19th century front door). I think this project would involve some pretty significant modifications and I do not just want to hire any old contractor off the street. I think the person for the job needs to have a lot of experience working on old homes because my intention is to make everything look like it was there from the beginning. Please let me know if you have any recommendations. I live in Flemington, NJ. 

Thank you all in advance!

p.s. I'm interested in the doors I attached as a picture as long as they are appropriate for the style and age of my home. Please feel free to leave your opinion on them as well. I don't want to add anything to my house that looks out of place, and I am by no means an expert on historical architecture. You can see the style of my home in my profile picture

Views: 142

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will thank you for your advice. I completely agree with you. It definitely does take a different mindset. You need to want to do things correctly and slowly, not just rush through and bang out as many jobs as possible. I am in the middle of a kitchen ren

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service