My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Hi,

My name is Sharon and my husband and I own a 1912 Craftsman in Portland. We've been working on it for a couple years and have been lurking around these old house forums for a while. I don't know why, but I didn't get around to signing up until now. Better late than never, I guess.

We renovated most of our house and hired out most of the work, as we didn't have the skills. But we've been able to do some of the paint stripping and we've worked to decorate it with reproduction decor.

I just finished stenciling friezes in bedrooms within the last couple of weeks and it was a pretty fun project.

I'd post pictures, but I already have many of them at a blog. If anyone is interested, you can see before and afters here:

Laurelhurst Craftsman Before and After

We do have a bathroom that we're planning to remodel this coming year where we're hoping to do much more of the work ourselves. We're going to at least act as the general contractor and hire out the electrician and plumber ourselves. I guess we'll see how it goes. We've been learning a lot these last couple of years.

Thanks for all the wonderful advice you guys share on this list. The archives can be pretty helpful.

Later,

Sharon

Tags: Remodel

Views: 209

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A very handsome house.

You have done an amazing job, who ever did it.  It looks so warm and welcoming and you have to take credit for that.  What ever means you take by doing it your self or hiring it done, Keep up the great work.  Hats off to you!  Lair

Sharon,

Remarkable work. Having been restoring a Queen Anne for 4 1/2 years, I have developed a stronger and stronger appreciation for Craftsman homes. In fact, there is are a lot of elements in Queen Anne homes that are in craftsman homes and vice-versa, as hard as it may sound to believe. The two styles overlapped in history and you can see shared elements on the interiors.

So glad you are restoring this. You probably already know that there is often no financial gain from this, just personal satisfaction on restoring your home.

Keep up the great work.

I love the Bluestar range in your after kitchen, love the whole kitchen for that matter but I have a black Bluestar also but mine is only 4 burner.

Very outstanding work! You have stunning house! I like your leaded glass unit in living room full of books!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm looking forward to another busy year.

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service