I am new to the site and am hoping some one can help me with a question about my house. I have a ~1915 Victorian house in upstate NY.

Here is an image of the house when we purchased it.

Here is a scan of a photo we were given of the house back in the day.

I am currently removing the aluminum siding to get the house to look like it did. I started on the north side since I assume that this would be the side that would have the most moisture. The original woodwork is in great shape. This image shows my big issue that I am hoping someone might have some insight on.

Notice the strip of siding that is missing? I have no idea of what this area looked like. My old original picture has a tree blocking this area. My neighbor has an old photo of his house with mine in the background. But the same tree is in the way. Can anyone give me any ideas of what would be typical for this area?

One clue I do have is that the top edge of the board on top of the clapboard has no paint on it so something was on top of it. this is probably why it was removed to begin with since when the sided the house they removed anything that stuck out further than the window frames.

Any help is greatly appreciated,


Views: 996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thought I'd post some update photos.

I'm glad to be done with this section of shingles. Next up the missing belt course and clapboard.


Stunning... Excellent work!

Simplest explanation is that it was shingles all the way down to the belt course trim, and it may have been flared out and had a bed molding under the drip edge of the first course of shingles. There seems to be the ghost of two courses of shingles imprinted in the rosin paper under the window sill line. If the flare idea is correct, the shingles would have been supported by strips of shim material the rest of the way down, so horizontal ghost lines may be encountered.

If you took the typical shingle course module and project it down, where does that hit the beltcourse?  By the same token where does the typical lap siding exposure extrapolated the same way end up hitting the shingles (they may be the same exposure or my not).

I would try to eliminate your two existing siding materials before entertaining the possibility of a third (vertical skirting of t&g boards)


Thanks for the compliments and thoughts.

The belt course that is missing I am about 95% confident pushed outward. I don't have a picture of it but the front of the house where the porch roof slants downward towards the side I am working on has the raised shingle pattern in it still beneath the aluminum. So I would assume that this continues around the carner to where I am working. I'm thankful that it is still there since I can see how they did the feature.

I was confused by this comment though.

"I would try to eliminate your two existing siding materials before entertaining the possibility of a third (vertical skirting of t&g boards)"


By eliminate I meant rule them out as possibilities. Vertical t&g was widely used, as another poster suggests, but since you're trying to literally restore a previous appearance, bringing in a foreign pattern and material without certainty and ironclad evidence is not a step to take lightly. If you found a pattern of angled above one another nail holes every 4 inches, that would indicate vertical 4" t&g boards had been tongue-nailed on.

Try to assemble all the physical evidence, then see what scenarios accommodate most of it, then you are on solid footing.

What a wonderful house! You're lucky to have found so much of the original work under the siding and the house is lucky to have someone restore it to its former glory. Have you decided on paint colors yet?

I'm late to this discussion and have nothing new to add at this point as others have done a good job answering your questions. Best of luck and much happiness in this incredible house...

Thank you for the nice comments. I was so happy that when I saw that the wood underneath was still there and in decent shape to boot.The colors we are going with are what are shown on the photos. Basically grey scales (Lincoln Black, Charcoal Grey, Cement Grey and white). The idea of doing the painted lady colors worried me too much.


WOW!!!! Looks great!!! I'm sure you have had so many complements on it from your neighbors.



Thanks for the compliment. Actually this side of the house is really hard to see because of the trees so not too many neihbors have seen what I've been up too. I started on this side since it was the north facin side and fiured it would have the most issues from moisture. I will do the front last to keep myself motivated.


Jim, the house is looking fabulous! It just amazes me that people covered up such amazing detail. I cannot wait to see your futures pictures.  You must be so proud of your work to uncover this beauty.



Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!



© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service