My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Thinking ahead for the spring project of mortor repair on our 1870 home, located in southern Indiana.

Does anyone know of a source for Lime Putty? I've read a lot of articles...but so far lack finding a place to buy the lime putty to mix the mortor.

Thanks in advance .... Ken

Views: 131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just order premixed lime based mortar. It has worked great for me so far, and the place offers many "stock" colors. Trying to find hydrated lime type S is next to impossible in my area (near Dayton OH). Here is a link to the site if interested:

http://www.palimeworks.com/lwus/default.asp?page=ecologic.html

It is kind of nice that you just mix and go..instead of trying to figure out the formula and components for mortar. Hope that gives you some ideas.

if you have sanded soft brick, it is important that the mortar mix you use is soft enough not to damage your bricks.
Randall is totally right on that one!
US Heritage might be able to help. Or google John Speiwak.

I hope I'm not too late to reply to this.  The formula below was used extensively in the East Row Historic District in Newport, KY while I lived there.  Tuck pointing the brick on an old house is tedious work and being careful to make the mortar the proper hardness will ensure your brick will last.  If the mortar is too hard the face of the brick will spall.  Good luck.

Mortor Recipe for Historic Masonry Repair

4 C white, non-staining Portland Cement

1X5 Gal bucket hydrated lime

2x5 Gal buckets sand

Water

A proportion of 1 part lime to 2 parts sand is useful as a starting point.  No more than 20% of the total volume of the lime and cement combined should be Portland cement.  Any greater amount of cement increases the hardness of the repointing mortar to a potentially damaging level.

Color matching should be accomplished by using buff colored sand and tinting powder

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service