I'm looking for split-style ceiling & floor flanges for 3/4" pipe feeding my American Standard hot water radiators.

1.   Solid cast iron
2.   Split & hinged with a loop & tab at the mating end.
3.   10-24 set screw for fixed position on pipe.
4.   Smooth with a slight flare upward towards the pipe
5.   Originally nickel plated but I'm going to clean & paint if in rough condition.
6.   3" diameter overall.

See photo for exact match.

Nobody seems to carry these.  Not even the vintage radiator companies.  You'd think with an item this easy to transport, everyone would have a stockpile... at least two for every radiator salvaged.

The reproductions do not look right... too expensive because they're polished brass with ornate cast designs, stepped, waterfall, etc.

The new ones are very cheap and flimsy... either thin chrome steel or plastic.

It would be great to find the original cast iron ones even if they're in rough shape.  I'll settle for something similar as long as it's cast iron.

Thank-you for any suggestions.

Views: 19064

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey John, I've had this on my list of things to search for as well. Seeing this post reminded me. Check the link below. You have to scroll down on that page, but I think they might have what you are looking for.

BTW, they are not cast, but they have a heavy gauge chrome, which should be sturdy enough.
I just found those this morning. They will have to do if I can't find mine. It's weird because the ones I have were probably the cheapest and most common style of their era.... somebody out there has a whole box full of these, I just know it.

Have you seen these? Pricey and slightly different style but they're cast brass...

I did see those. And variations on that $25.00 theme! They are gorgeous, but I'm with you - someone has some - do you have an architectural re-use kind of place near you? We have a place called Buffalo Re-use that I have gone to for various things. If you do a search on architectural salvage, you might find something within driving distance that carries what you need. (As if you haven't already done just that...!!)
I'm actually going to have radiator covers made for my radiators, but I still want to put the escutcheons on the pipes to keep the dirt and yuck from floating around in the house, so I'm not into paying $50.00 per radiator (times 8) for these buggers! A buck-two-fifty is more my style!
Good luck and post what you find. I know that sometimes around here, you can call a couple places and find an older guy whose been in business for a long time - he sometimes knows where to find what you need. A plumber or furnace outfit should be able to help...
I've emailed about three dozen salvage places across the country... no luck. I've also emailed the famous radiator guys from This Old House... I get very curt response as if it's so outrageous to expect to find flanges at the same place that has original radiators and valves!

Actually since these won't be handled and I'm painting them, I'd be thrilled with an exact reproduction cast in some sort of resin material. Maybe somebody has some experience in this area.

The problem will be the hinge & latch. I'll need an alternative method of keeping the two halves fixed together and on the pipe.

Thinking about this...

They recommend these for this project...

silicone for casting...


resin for reproducing...

We had a great place called Salvage One in Chicago. They literally had an old 6 story warehouse full of junk. Boxes and boxes of hardware, doorknobs, small items, etc.

Recently they remodeled the place into a banquet hall for weddings! They used to have an entire floor full of radiators and plumbing... that's gone now. Most of the small junk is gone too and the only deal in large fixtures, furniture, architectural stuff etc. Was always a fun place to visit but I'll miss the way it used to be...

Don't you hate that?? An old-time plumber might have a bead on some, but your idea is pretty cool. Instead of hinging them, you could use a dowel pin on each half that would slip into a hole in the other half to keep the two pieces together. Or drill both halves and slip a dowel thru them both.
I was thinking of drilling small holes and looping a brass wire. Wind it tight underneath and slide the flange down into position.

Yours is a better idea than mine and it will work on the floor flanges since gravity will do most of it. (I have ceiling ones too but I'll use the originals for that)

For your idea though I'll have to make sure to cast parts without the ears broken off.
Either that, or carefully drill a hole that dowels will slip fit into. You could make each half but together instead of lapping each other and then drill holes into each half so that the holes and dowels you insert into them are horizontal to the floor (if that makes sense). Then pop them together and voila!
Interesting... I get it.

I just don't think they're thick enough for a horizontal pin. If they were, a spring pin or roll pin would friction fit the two together.

Based on my woodworking experience, getting dowel holes to line up on adjoining parts is much easier to talk about than do.

If the mold idea works, I could alter the mold to include ears, then drill holes for tiny pins like you originally said. I'd still keep a working set-screw for positioning on pipe and that would only work with vertical pins. Horizontal would pull apart when tightening.

Nearly six years later from this original post -- wondering what people did for the escutcheons?  I can't imagine paying some of the prices I have seen on line.  Can anyone help with this?  Thank you.


Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!



© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service