I just learned something about our home... 

Throughout our main floor, we have dark oak floors.  In one of the main rooms however, the wood is lighter, and matches the upstairs flooring.  It's a beautiful room, but it's always seemed odd that the flooring would be different.  I just learned from a former owner that the room used to have marquetry flooring. Can marquetry flooring be stained instead of inlaid?  Any thoughts or info on marquetry flooring would be appreciated, as I don't know a lot.  Thanks! 

Views: 150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well,you could stencil a floor with a contrasting color. Buy marquetry is accomplished with different color woods, like cherry or mahogany for reds, maple for the lightest color, walnut for brown, etc.

Parquet flooring (geometric pattern) is more likely than marquetry. Was the house made between about 1880 and 1920?

Sorry I'm slow to reply!  The house was built in 1909.  The former owner picked out this pic as being closest to what they remember: 

Attachments:

That is parquet flooring.  Face nailed (not tongue and groove), likely 5/16" over 1" pine.

Thank you!  What's so puzzling to me, is it appears that the current floor is historic.  It matches the upstairs floors exactly.  If the parquet flooring was taken out, why would the current floor match?  Who knows!  

We've been doing a lot of thinking about replacing the parquet flooring in this one room, but it's expensive to get beautiful parquet tiles such as Czar Floors has.  Is it possible to make parquet flooring?  We've done lots of projects to restore or replace wood in our home, but never something like this.  Does anyone know if it's possible?  We'd definitely be willing to work long and hard at it.  

The linked picture that you showed above is much denser than most parquet floors.  Most used a patterned border (such as in your picture) with plain wood in the center of the room, often laid in a maze-like pattern starting at the center.  Just buying a border is a lot less money than solid parquet.

Thank you!  That's an excellent idea; and you're right, it'd be easier on the pocket book.  =)

If the existing floor is wooden, then you could cut out exactly the width of a boarder and keep the rest of the floor (Getting level right on a floor that is not perfectly level would require skill though).  Google victorian parquet border, select "images" to see lots of examples of border-only inlays.

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service