The 1885 portion of my house's windows are outfitted with the most unique window locks I have ever seen (and, indeed, I have never seen them elsewhere).  Please see attached photos.  The unlocked position is when the lever is in the vertical position.  To lock the sashes together, you simply pull the lever down and towards you, joining the two parts together.  The idea is simple, however, in practice, they work poorly.  The sashes must meet perfectly both horizontally and vertically for the lock to operate, and, like most old house windows, most of mine don't.

The design on the lock appears to be "broken leaf" although I am aware that that idea was copied through many different hardware manufacturers.  The mortise lock hardware in the 1885 portion of my house is Chicago Niles (very unique), so the window lock might be made by that company.  That would explain its scarcity.

Has anyone out there seen this specific window lock before?  Does anyone have any extras to sell or trade?  I am missing roughly four complete locks for my windows.  Thanks for everyone's feedback and comments.

Views: 749

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, isn't it lovely we once actually believed form followed function, that in a world at that time where death came so easily--those days before penicillin--where beauty was truly appreciated even in the tiniest detail such as a window lock....Most of my steeple pins and decorative plate is gone too, but I found them, in a cardboard box behind glass at an antique mall nearby...for $1100.  Too rich for me right now, hope you have good luck in your search!
I used to have some of those out of my 1880 house.  I'll check and see if I have any left.  Lair

Lair, did you ever find any of these you said you might have leftover?

hi andy ,I have seen these or something close  when i was looking up antique window parts, I'll  look again and send you the website.                                   thnks kevin

Thanks, Kevin, I need all the help I can get!

They seems unique and classical, I never saw a lock like them before, maybe you can to find lock factory to custom for you if possible.

I know the chances of you seeing this on a thread that is over four years old is slim but I have those exact sash locks and was wondering if you had found a place to get some?

Did you look in Van Dykes Restorers catalog ?

Hi Dennis, no, I have not found a single one.  I am encouraged, however, to hear that you have these on your house...I was beginning to think mine was the only one.  Tell me, what brand is your lock hardware on your doors?  My lock hardware is Chicago Niles, which employs a very unique knob/spindle attachment.  If your doors have Niles hardware, we can be reasonably sure that these odd sash locks are made by them as well, which may assist in nailing down a source.

Kevin, Van Dyke's only has the "common" sash fasteners.

Another suggestion might be to leave a "call me if you find these" order with architectural salvage joints. They have stuff going through their stores all the time. Here in Ohio there are 2, one in Columbus and one in Toledo. The one in Columbus has sash locks which look a lot like yours (but not the same, I think).  I'll try to insert a link, but if I don't succeed, you can cut and paste it in your browser window:

http://www.columbusarchitecturalsalvage.com/catalogdetail.php?inv_i...

Richard

Yes, I have tried that with our local architectural salvage warehouse.  Of course, typically what happens is when none are located within a month or so, it passes from the forefront of their minds and is ultimately forgotten about.  I do stop in at least every month or so and check out their sash fasteners department, though.

Andy, I know of a house that has those on every window, or at least it did at one time.  If you would be interested I could give you the address and you could write them and see if they would be interested in getting rid of any of them.  I have heard they are not preservationists.  Contact me if interested.  Lair

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service