Hi! I am a student at Georgia Tech studying residential building construction.  I am in a historic preservation class this summer, and we are working on a project concerning the many different types and styles of midcentury (post WWII) ranch house windows.  We are developing guidelines on how to care for, repair, and replace these windows to maintain the historic integrity of the house.  We are having problems finding information on aluminum windows from this time period.  Does anyone know where to find in-kind replacement parts or windows, or have any experience with this subject?  Thank you so much!!

Views: 1082

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi,   Are you speaking of  "jalousey" windows (forgive the spelling) the type that has many small panes that fold out or the metal framed windows that look like regular windows ?

My recolection tells me there is a modifier required in front of the word "jalousey" window.

Funny, I grew up on Long Island NY in one of those ranch style houses in Levittown. But the windows were wood. The only aluminum windows I remember were jalacy type in the doors. Anyway, you made me feel old by using the term midcentury....lol. Good luck.

Talk about feeling old, last month the mag. Old House Interiors, featured a restoed Mid-century home.  It had all the furniture my parents bought new for their house, preparing for my graduation party.  They redecorated for the party held at the house and got rid of the old stuff they bought when they first married.  I hated the new stuff and still do.    

Talk about feeling old, the house my dad built in Lincoln, Nebraska, in the year 1950 that I grew up in is now a contributing structure in an historic district! Our furniture was half second hand art deco, and half custom made by my dad in a mix of deco, Maxfield Parish fantasy and American colonial styles.

The windows in that house are double-hung wood, with wood-framed screens and steel-framed canvas awnings for summer, wood-framed storms for winter. The windows are still working great. The house next door was built the same year with the same windows. The owner was victimized by the replacement window pirates in the early 1980s, and the replacements have been replaced twice since then with plastic disposable windows.

John

www.HistoricHomeWorks.com

Odd to think that 1950s houses would be studied for historic preservation. Kind of like seeing all the 1960s-70s "modern" furniture filling the antique stores nowadays.

Its all in the perspective. I remember visiting my Grandmother with my new wife back in 1978, because Grandma couldn't make the wedding. Anyway, the wife and I were into antiques, and my wife commented on her beautiful antiques. Grandma just laughed, and said, "you mean this used furniture".....

Thats true Bill. My grandma was an antique dealer from way back in the 1960s and she told me how back then they practically gave away oak furniture at auctions cause nobody wanted it. Everybody wanted Victorian walnut pieces. By the 80s walnut was hard to find so oak really shot up in price. Now everything is expensive.

It's 'jalousie' but the 1950's also saw double-hungs and casements in aluminum single glaze with full, single storm windows which were attached to the outside (just like the wood storm windows they replaced).

Cynthia, I grew up in a ranch house built in 1957, wood clapboards on the back and sides, and long tan brick on the front.  It had aluminum windows and screens.  Each window opening held two aluminum framed windows side by side, one of which would slide sideways to allow ventilation, while the other remained fixed.  I think we had aluminum storms, not that they did any good...with the pinkish marble sills, ice would form on the insides of the windows every winter, especially at the far end where my bedroom was!  I remember putting a folded towel on the sill to help soak up the melting ice!

As far as I know, the house still has those windows, since we sold it in '87 to my best friend's parents.

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service