With the Shingle Style coming at the end of the Victorian period and right before the A & C movement, I am having trouble finding images of period-correct lighting.  My house is 1903 and both house styles can be seen in it.  I'd love to find illustrations or interior photos of historic, shingle styles homes.  Thank you!

Views: 371

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You might check out architectural style books from that era. We've got a bunch at our public library. Dover books also publishes some out of copyright style books from various eras. Check out rejuvenation.com, who have some lighting styles listed on a period-by-period basis.  Also, if you just google "shingle style houses lighting" you'll turn up some interesting links.  One is a Old House Journal article with a variety of reference books listed.

There is no definitive shingle style interior. It could be remnants of Eastlake, it more likely is classical revival with colonial revival overtones. It could have black hand-wrought iron elements, or antique/oxidized copper fittings. If the house was of any pretension, every room was finished in a different style and wood;oak hallway and stairs, mahogany dining room, sycamore sitting room, birdseye maple ladies parlor, etc., and special lighting fixtures for each one.  You might also want to use "edwardian" for the search term.

Casey

If the house is 1903 vintage the original lighting would have been gas lights, or gasoline lights.

Residential electric lighting didn't begin until the 1920s, and that was carbon arc lighting.

There are a number of different styles of electric lighting. appropriate to your house. By 1903 there was less mystery in seeing the direct view of the lamp itself and many configurations of glass shades were used to provide beauty. Service areas may have still used bare lamps to maximize light output.

Your house may have been equipped with both gas and electric light, many times in the same fixture, or electricity may have been added later depending on location. Larger City centers had electricity in common use in the 1890's and some homes outside the city may have had their own means of power generation. Incandescent lamps operate fine on ac or dc current (DC was commonly used in some central and local powers generating stations). Carbon arc was used exclusively in outdoor applications or large interior spaces like railroad stations and factories. The fixtures were much too large, bright and noisy for domestic interior use.

Where is the house located?

I have never heard the term "shingle style".  Can someone enlighten me.  Always learning

Yours,

Randall

www.rmdesignconst.com

Seriously? Look at Google images for "shingle style" you don't know what you have been missing.

It was based on the English Queen Anne style (those were usually brick and slate) so that kind of massing was brought over here in the mid-1880's (H.H.Richardson was a practitioner) and the exteriors were clad entirely with wood shingles, with minimalist details, but what there were was simple cornice work (very small overhangs) and simpler detailing than the American Queen Anne's preponderance of gingerbread busy-ness. You could look at them as Victorianized Cape Cod style.

Geographically it is concentrated on the east coast. Some excellent examples were built in Newport RI.

Our house is in Maryland.  It's a tricky style to me because it has a Victorian feel yet there are Arts and Crafts elements.  I so wish there was just one original light!  The gas lines are there, so there's that.  The house has inglenook benches in front of the fireplaces on the first floor.  The windows are mostly diamond paned and some with small square panes.  The front door looks like an English Tudor front door with dummy straps and it is extremely heavy.  It looks like wide oak floor boards.  The rafters are exposed on the first floor in both the dining room and living room and they are boxed in -- maybe being more rustic at some point and later boxed -- not sure.  Wanescoting in the very large entrance hall but none anywhere else unless removed, but I see no indication.  I am desperate for lighting, but I just haven't found the right ones yet.  I prefer antique lights and I will have them rewired.  I've searched all over the internet for about a year, but haven't found the right thing yet or maybe I just don't know the right thing.  Most people think the house is Arts and Crafts with some saying Tudor and still some saying shingle style.  While I know these styles all blend very easily and one can still mean the other, it sure can be challenging.  I LOVE those pan and shower lights with the art glass shades.  Spectacular!  Some of the Victorian lights look too fussy and some of the A & C and Mission style looks too modern?  Weird!  The house looks something like a Nantucket beach house.  

I always called that style lantern style. Never knew it was called shingle style. Thanks for the unput.

Yours
Randall
www.rmdesignconst.com

I have heard Shingle Style is said to be the only American home style. Also heard it referred to as the wood version of Richarsonian Romanesque.

I did that quick Google search and sadly saw no exterior or interior lighting. As Casey said, most homes during this time period were decorated in various styles, room to room. Most of the modest Shingle Homes are contemporaries of Queen Anne and Colonial Revivals so any lighting fixture used in those interiors should be appropriate. Much of the choice comes down to personal decision.

I did see a San Francisco Shingle-Style town home once that had the entire interior decorated in Aesthetic Movement style—it suited it perfectly (hint: Aesthetic Movement lighting is insanely expensive.)

Also, check out Sheffield-style light fixtures. The fluted style was common for early electric fixtures in Colonial Revival homes.

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service