Storm Windows for Restored 110 Year Old Wooden Windows

We are in the process of restoring our 1901 home starting with new cedar shingles and restoring the old wooden sashes.  The guys doing the shingles did a great job of replicating the original trim (casing) - they cut a knife to match and next thing we know we have exact matches for the casing.  Next we'll work on getting the sashes restored.

When the shingle guys replaced the casing they took down all the mismatched aluminum and wooden storm windows, as well as any screens.  We don't want to return those to the window because a) the aluminum ones are ugly; and b) the wooden ones have incorrect lites (six over six on top of our two over one sashes, makes for a very confusing image).

So here's my question:  will we be able to find new "historically accurate" storm windows and screens that are easy to install and remove each season?  Will we have to screw them into our new casing somehow?  Will we be able to make it look right or will this be another jury-rigged set up that looks bulky or like an afterthought? 

We hate the idea of spending a ton of money making our sashes beautiful, and then ruining it with bad screens or storm windows that are a nightmare to install each year.

thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

Views: 307

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are my thoughts.

1. I wonder if you could convert the wooden ones to one over ones by removing the glass and then removing most of the wooden muntins down to a one over one and then glaze 2 large pieces of glass in. The advantage would be that the wooden storm frames would be already perfectly fitted.

2. If you are like us, you only open a fraction of your windows, thus you could switch to wooden storm only in most windows, then have screens that can be swapped for the storms in a much smaller number of windows, or use temp screens with your storms propped out.

3. Storms were not screwed into casings, at least wooden ones. You install two hangers on the top of each and two matching brackets on the casings. Then the storm with its hangers hangs into the window. A hook on the inside of the storm fits into an eye on the inside sill to pull it tightly into place.

4. Or/and try http://adamsarch.com/ for wooden storms with built in screens. The look of wood with the convenience of triple track aluminum.
Have you considered removable interior storms? Those that I see advertised seem rather pricey, but depending upon your patience and level of ingenuity, home-made plexi inserts can be very discrete, and not all that much of a hassle unless your windows are so large that it becomes unwieldy. Should you live, as do I, in a "transitional" neighborhood that tends to "transition" for the worse whenever times get bad, the plexi has some benefit as well in terms of security and noise abatement.
Hope,

My storm windows are not historically accurate for my house, built in 1903, but after all the new cedar siding and new cedar shingles I put up I could not afford to have wooden storm windows custom made. Nor could I find anybody in my area to make them. My new storms are aluminum, dark green in color, and each one had to be ordered due to the custom sizes of all my windows. They cost about $175 apiece, because of the height, and they are double hung with screens. I did have a few storm windows that were fairly new, so I opted to spray paint them to match the brand new ones. I removed each storm, replaced the casings (custom wood) and replaced some window sills too. Then I primed, caulked, and painted two coats before putting up the new storms. Even if I could afford custom made wooden storm windows, I did not want to deal with removing them each spring to put up screens. The only windows on my house that have no storms at all are the three arched windows in my tower. I have not made it that far with my restoration, so I don't know what I will do there.

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook!

Badge

Loading…

© 2018   Created by Community Host.   Powered by

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service