My Old House Online

An online community for people who love old houses.

Hi

Can anyone tell me more about the style of this house?

Records show it was built in 1920. And this is in the "downtown area" of a small town in middle TN.

I would love to find some floor plans and see more details of exterior & interiors for this type of home.

Any help???

THANKS!!

Views: 1697

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is what I see:

An amazing and highly unique Colonial Revival Style with some Late Victorian elements mixed in the the Bungalow/Craftsman Style.

Colonial Revival ELements: the porch columns and palladial style dormer windows.

Victorian Elements: The Queen Anne style 3-bay window and shakespearean gable end looming overhead. The many chimneys.

Craftsman ELements: the horizonal, prairie style layout.

This house appears to be a truly ecelctic early 20th century house...seeming to mix Colonioal Revival, Victorian and Craftsman elements. It appears as no single style. I predict that thje inside trim an dfinsih work is similar. YOu have simple but attractive window and door casings with an entablature-style header (horzintal cap/frieze with crown). You may have several interestingly tiled fireplaces.

Hello - do you know if the house had any renovations done to it prior to the 1957 photo?  Are you sure it was built in 1920? or could it be that in 1920 the did an extreme make-over turning one style of home into another. It was done all the time. I kind of see a late Victorian Farm House under what might have been a 1920 Colonial Revival and/or Bungalow Re-Do. I might suggest you goggle "Colonial Revival House" and "Bungalow House" and "Victorian Farmhouse" then go to images and seacrh for things that look similar.Nice house...good luck!

I think some good shots of interior doors and hardware will help date the house, and maybe also shed light on if it had a 1920 major remodel.  Take and post some clear pictures of hinges, doorknobs, locks and the like.  Also look to see if they seem uniform, or if knobs inside doors leading to the basement or attic look very different (people often skip these when remodeling). 

I think I will get back in the house on Tuesday and I'll take some photographs then.

I did see 3 fireplaces. I'm assuming we would discover at least 2 more behind walls. They looked victorian to me. Tile surround (one is very decorative, white tile w/gold "highlights") They also have what I'm guessing is a decorative iron plate covering the opening of the fireplace? Don't know if that makes sense. The front room with the bay window has a large pocket door. I noticed the knobs are glass and the hinges are a gold color. There is a stained glass area on top of the front bay window. also thought that was victorian?

The front door is as it looks in the 1957 photos. Double wood door with oval beveled glass insets. With sidelights also with oval beveled glass insets.

I find it very interesting that you think it might be older than 1920. I'm not sure how I could find that out? Any suggestions.

Thanks so much for your comments. I think this is so much fun uncovering the history of this house. It is one of the only older homes in my town that has not been restored....so exciting!

While you are taking pictures of the details, make sure to take a good shot of the stained glass. Stained glass  remained popular into the 1920s before dying a rapid death in the 30s.  But the style of the 1920s stained glass is very different than victorian glass.  Where I live (PA), you don't see many pocket doors in houses built after WWI.  Nor, though, do you see many glass doorknobs from houses before 1900. 

Ecxellent ideas Phil - Also check the chimneys and fireplaces - it appears that there are 5-6 chimneys in this house - are there 5 or 6 fireplaces? what do they look like? I can't imagine a house built in 1920 in TN would have 5 or 6 chimneys - at least not a house of this style

Here are some photos. What do you think after seeing these?

Attachments:

More photos

Attachments:

Steve and Paul here -

After seeing the interior, there is little doubt this would be classified as a very late Victorian/Colonial Revival. The neoclassical mantlepieces and the classic entablature-style door headers speak to the classical revival seen in the 1890s up through WWI. The Art Noveau style fireplace tiles and glasswork are a late victorian style seen in the 1890s - WWI timeframe. The door hinges appear to be post 1900--and those door hinges were typically meant to go on unpainted wood doors (stained oak for example). You may have stain-grade wood underneath all that white paint.

Your house appears likely to have been made prior to WWI. We would put it in the 1900-1910 timeframe. The late Victorian and Edwardian period. You should look at teh styles of the very short Edwardian period, which was really quite something.

One other thing is that your house is/was quite opulent and grand. A wealthy family owned this house, or at least a family with means.

I must point out that nothing we have said here eliminates the possibility that it is an even older home with a turn of the 19th-century makeover. But I do not believe that to be the case. I believe your house was more or less made the way it is and appears to have survived the majority of the 20th century intact!

A BEAUTIFUL home.

I second Steven's 1900-1910 guess.  I also second that it is both a beautiful and opulent house.  I especially like the art nouveau castings in the fireplace covers.  The streaky hardware is a patina called "old copper" or "antique copper" and was super popular for many years.  At the risk of giving unsolicited advice, if this were my house, I would not rush into the floor plan changes that you outlined on one of these threads.  This was a high end house and you might not fully appreciate certain aspects of its layout and design until you have lived in it.  What's the rush?  Live in it and give it some time to see what you like and what you don't like about it.  Try restoring (without replacing any of its elements) one of the public rooms. If you like almost nothing about its bones and its style, then I would buy a new house instead of gutting and redoing this one, leaving this house for someone who doesn't mind the quirks of an old house.  Anyway, that is my 2 cents.

I second Phil's sentiments. This house does not appear to need a floorplan redo.

Not that it matters, but it was me (Paul) who said this not Steve. We need to remember to log out. This house is far too nice and in too good a shape for a massive rework. I would save the money for fixing whats broke and restoring what is needed to restore.

RSS

Get Connected:

Follow Us on Twitter We're on Facebook! LinkedIn

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Community Host.

Old Houses | Restoration Products  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service