Their honeymoon began when Ray and Theo Pickford Owen left from the east side of Madison in a flat-bottom rowboat in 1906, rowing down the Yahara River toward Rockford, Illinois. The young couple spent the first night camped on the shore of Wisconsin’s Lake Monona, under the oak trees. In 1911 they returned to their romantic spot to build a modest summer cottage where they had camped. At first it was just two rooms: a large living space anchored by a massive fieldstone fireplace, with a kitchen behind it. Soon they expanded the space with screened porches running along the north and west walls.
That’s the cottage we see here, now inhabited by the Owens’ granddaughter, Jan Marshall Fox, and her extended family. The spirit of the house is essentially the same. In the 1920s, Ray Owen rescued 1880s commercial windows to glaze the porches, and used French doors to separate the living room from the porches. The property has always been called Bungalowen. Read more.